Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Fatherly Follies

So, last night, I'm reading One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish to The Littlest Critic when we come to the following page:




whereupon, my beloved daughter for whom I gave up a good job for a part-time crappy night shift job; for whom I stayed home all day for four years, changing diapers, making food, playing games; who I took to the doctor; who I played with at home, at the zoo, at the playground; my beloved little monster turns to me and says:

"What is he, like a daddy or something?"

Like a stake through the heart that kid sometimes.

I've never had a more penetrating critique of my parenting style than that moment right there. So I made a promise on the spot: Less yelling. Decidedly less yelling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me add this story:

Daddy, attempting to elicit the response, "Ask nicely": If you want someone to do something for you, ---, what do you need to do?

The Littlest Critic: Ask Mommy?

The Critic said...

Ain't she a wit? I think someone is going to get tickled when I get home, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

I would've said "no honey, he's more like a daughter or something"
Let me try and Suess TLC (ahem..)
For unknown reasons,
so it may seem,
that all she does,
is scream, scream, scream!
try as I may
to settle the child
the girl still screams,
the kid's still wild..