Monday, October 13, 2008

Vocab Lately

The other day, while The Littlest Critic, The Critical Wife, and I were going some place in the car, I was gently teasing TLC, as is my wont. Finally, after having heard enough of it, she said to me, "Stop taunting me."

She's five.

Later that same day, The Wife and I in the middle of a conversation, were interrupted by TLC pointing out that "that's descending," referring to something in our conversation that was, in fact, going down in a metaphoric sense.

For the record, again, she is five.

Although to be fair, she's closer now to six than five.

We have always tried to model conversation for her, using occasional big words when talking about things with her instead of going for babyish alternatives.

But every so often she throws out something like "taunting," and I'm just blown away.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's five and a half--not all that close to six yet. Here is a little story for you:

Littlest Critic on Sexism

TLC: Mama, I want to tell you a story, but I don't want you to get upset.

Mama: It's okay, Honey.

TLC: Joseph Rivera said that I couldn't go to his birthday party because I was a girl and only boys were allowed.

Mama: Oh. That's not very nice. You were his good friend.

TLC: But I told him that it doesn't matter who comes to your party. What matters is that you get presents.